Monday, January 19, 2015

Jazzed Up Black Beans

Black Beans

Let me just say, I love any kind of Hispanic food. You name it, I love it: tostones, pernil, mofongo, or pulpo, its all good. But let's be honest, its not the most health conscious cuisine out there. So when my uncle came to visit last week, I picked his brain for his recipes, because well ,I could eat everything he makes everyday for the rest of my life. The beans stuck out as probably the easiest and cheapest to make, and let me tell you there is no lacking in flavor even though this is a health conscious recipe. For this recipe you make your own kind of sofrito, the Latin flavor enhancer. My uncle uses Calabaza Pumpkin, but its hard for me to find so I replaced it with Butternut Squash, pretty much the same flavor, color, and texture.
 
Ingredients:
  • 4 cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups Butternut Squash, cubed
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper, finely diced
  • 1/4 Red Onion, finely diced
  • 4 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
  • 1 small can No Salt Added Plain Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. Cumin
  • 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
  • 2 tsp. Salt, divided
  • 1 tsp. Pepper
  • 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup Green Olives (optional)
 
Directions:
 
Sauté bell pepper, red onion, garlic, and cilantro in the olive oil on medium heat until tender, about 5-8 minutes.  Season with cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt.  Add in the tomato sauce and cook together for about 3 minutes, until the color deepens a little to a brick red color. Add in beans and cubed squash and season with remaining salt and pepper. Cover the mixture with water until there is 1/2 inch of water above everything. Cook on medium heat for about 30-40 minutes, until squash is tender and the liquid has reduced. Stir in the green olives at the end if you choose to add them.  
 
 
 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment